1. Describe your community: My community consists of my church, work, social activities, and neighborhood. I attend First Covenant Church in Salina every Sunday and know a good majority of the people who attend. I also spend most of my time at work, Showcase Diamond Jewelers. For fun everyother Thursday I play bingo downtown with some friends. There is a range in age when we play bingo and it is nice to spend time with some elderly people. Last, my neighborhood is a middle-class neighborhood with friendly people. I like to take walks around my neighborhood and go to Jery Ivy Park which a couple of blocks away. I did not include school into my community because I do all of my schooling online.
2. What are shared experiences and events in your community: Every year in my community we have a River Festival. Everyone in town joins to appreciate art and music of local artist in our community. I also attend ministry fairs and vacation bible school that goes on once a year through my church.
3. What are common goals you and your community share: My community and myself work hard to improve our community we live in. My church has volunteer projects that are directed to improve the spirtitual well-being of our community. Also, my parents and my neighborhood work hard and put the money they earn back into making our neighborhoods apperence nice. Our community is always trying to improve.
4. What stories need to be told in your community: The stories of our recent improvements to the city. We expanded and improved our hospital. Recently Dr. Stuewe of Salina was trying to pass a project to improve our River. It would add beauty to downtown and create more activities. The project was to clean up our river and add walk ways and boats (similar to the boardwalk).
5. How might individual, group, and community stories be told through art work: My individual stories plus my group and community stories can be told through the my paintings or a picture collogue. I would take pictures of all of the goals that my community has accomplished or is wanting to accomplish in our town and put those images in a collogue or painting.
6. Is there a sign, symbol, or ritual that could act as a central metaphor: My central symbol is the River. We have a art festival along the river every year and also the community is trying to pass a project about improving the river downtown.
7. Are there opportunities for you to support and expand local craft traditions: Yes, I support the River Festival every year. In the future, I could possibly expand this tradition by opening my own booth during the River Festival exhibiting my paintings.
8. Discuss the idea "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" what aspects of the community do some of the members of the community find beautiful that others do not. Can those who find something ugly see it in another way: Our city has been putting up artwork around the town to improve its apperance. Across on of the bridges in Salina they put up new green light poles that are at an angle to add art. However, I find these light poles not beautiful. Someone must have thought these light poles were beautiful if they were put up. Even though I think they are ugly they do provide light on the bridge. I am sure there are buildings or other forms of art around the city that I find beautiful that others find ugly it is all about personal opinion.
9. Who could you partner with for this project: My college and careers youth group and also Dr. Stuewe whos idea it was for the river project. Also, some of my friends would have great input for this project.
10. Where could this event take place or be displayed at: I am sure I could put up my painting in the youth room at church or possibly display it at the River Festival.
11. Who would you like to reach in this project? Who would you like be educated by this project: I would like this project to reach the people who disagree with our river project and those who do not want to expand on the community. To educate them on the arts of our city.
Is your community financially able to support a project such as the river improvement without it placing a burden on some of the population? This might be a good example of beauty being in the eye of the beholder, or it might be an example of not enough money. Maybe you could get your message across by using the river as a symbol. Your artwork could also be displayed around town in places like the local library, maybe some coffee shops could dedicate some wall space for your creations. It sounds as if there is a sizable support group to move towards your endeavor. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteYou might concider visiting others cities that also have river walks and find out how they expanded on their cities river. It sounds like a wonderful idea. But could prove to be very costly. Maybe the city or county could offer tax breaks to any businesses that might be willing to locate along the river. Such cities could be San Antonio, TX or Branson, MO. You could also use your artistic abilities to display how you see the river looking by painting the river walk and shops. This endevor could also bring more jobs to Salina which is always a plus.
ReplyDeleteIncorporating a river into your artwork is a good idea since it seems important to your community. Another thing that you could add to your artwork is possible ways to maybe improve the river since the area is trying to pass a project for ways to improve it. Adding suggestions of how to improve it would be interesting in your artwork.
ReplyDeleteKylie-
ReplyDeleteYou have a really interesting idea here. I never would've considered a river to be a part of a community that needs improvement. Until I moved to attend Fort Hays, I lived in the suburbs my entire life and beauty/ all things astetically pleasing have been ample in my surroundings.
I don't know if you've ever been to the River Walk in San Antonio (Texas), but I think you could draw some inspiration from what they've achieved. A large part of the San Antonio economy benefits from the River Walk's tourism-if Salina could do the same thing on a smaller scale, I think it would see the same results.
I think something of historical value would be a great addition to your project, if you can find any information about the river.
Perhaps you can give a little more detail about your community such as size or cultural make up. Is there a state or larger local fair that would provide a larger venue for your art project? Are there other communities with water ways near by that may want to partner to share
ReplyDeletea cleaner water ways message?